Monday, November 30, 2009

A Fresh Perspective

As an artist, I just assumed everyone saw things as I did. Most people don't see things as an artist does. This became evident when I flew to California to see my daughter. As I looked out the window, I saw the mountain terrain and couldn't help but notice the shades of purple. When I mentioned it to the young woman sitting next to me, she said she hadn't noticed that until I brought it to her attention. Curious, I asked her what color she thought it was and she said it just looked like dirt! I didn't have the heart to tell her, dirt wasn't a color.

I wasn't on drugs when I saw the shades of purple. If I had painted the scene, would she and others, have wondered why I used purple? I saw the color this time, but there have been times when I have used a color that I didn't see. As an artist, it's up to me to show the viewers a fresh perspective on what I portray. Through my eyes, the viewers can gain new insights to the world around them. Take some time to really look at the colors of your world. What colors do you see?

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh, Audrey, you are so right! Our lives are so busy we don't always take the time to see and appreciate the beauty around us. Thank you for your Artist's perspective and for being such an amazing teacher! I'm thankful my son has you as a mentor--his life is better because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cindi! Lane is a blessing to me and so open to expanding his artistic talents!!

    ReplyDelete